1871 House Accommodations
Located in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, NYC, 1871 House offers extended stay lodging for travelers of all kinds. Our historic brownstone townhouse is a beautiful and refreshing alternative to the typical hotel arrangements in the City. Whatever the reason for your extended stay in New York City, let 1871 House be your home away from home!
Please take a look at our accommodations, policies, and rates before booking your stay.
30-Night Minimum Stays
1871 House apartments and suites are only available to book for a minimum 30-night stay. Unfortunately we can’t make exceptions
Monthly rates are seasonal. Starting rates are reflective of low season periods. January, February and March are considered low season months.
Securing Your Booking
Suites cannot be held without a down payment or payment in full. A credit card “hold” may be used to secure an apartment for a 12-hour period.
Form of Payment
Accommodation charges are payable by wire transfer or certified bank check. AMEX/Visa/MC (coming soon). We do not accept debit cards. Credit card purchases are subject to checkout fees. We impose a surcharge on credit card transactions not greater than our cost of acceptance (3-4% of total value of charge will be added to the transaction).
We adhere to a strict cancellation policy. Cancellations will be charged 100% of the booking arrangement. The same cancellation policy will also apply in the case of the booking arrangement being shortened. We recommend the purchase of Travel Insurance.
Identity of Guest(s)
The individual making the reservation must be the guest staying at the Accommodation unless the Guest has clearly notified the Host otherwise prior to making the reservation.
Maximum Occupancy Number
There are designated maximum occupancy limits for each of our suites of 1-2 people. The number of guests may never exceed the maximum number of guests allowed in the Accommodation. Children count toward the number of guests. The number of occupants as specified in the booking agreement must be adhered to. Only guests named in the original reservation whose IDs are verified in advance are permitted to stay in the Accommodation. Unauthorized guests, any sublet, sublease or substitution of guests is prohibited. If a Guest arrives for check-in with more than the specified number of guests than stated in the booking confirmation, the Host is entitled to refuse access to the Accommodation and this will be deemed a cancellation on the day of check-in by the Guest and the Host’s Applicable Cancellation Policy will apply. Similarly if at any point in time during the term of the Accommodation there are more people than booked, the Host is entitled to cancel the booking and the Host’s Applicable Cancellation Policy will apply.
Hotel Model Pricing
Pricing for your stay is based on a specific number of occupants. We operate under an extended stay hotel model in that our rates are based on occupancy. We technically are an extended stay hotel facility and this format is part of our business model, which helps keep regular rates as low as we are able to. Additionally, as one might already be aware, it is costly to us when additional persons stay at the house.
We utilize a hybrid version of the hotel model as far as guests and charge based on occupancy. Primary Guests may have an overnight visitor provided advance notice has been given to the host and the maximum occupancy limit for the suite is not violated. A monthly or daily fee is applicable. The fee covers additional operating expenses such as wear and tear, utilities, more prep and cleaning, water (showers, toilets, sink us), supplies such as towels and bedding, laundry & internet.
We arrange for weekly housekeeping & laundry.
Pets are not permitted in the house.
Smoking is not permitted anywhere in the house, terrace or in any of the public areas including 25 feet from the building. This includes e-cigarettes.
Primary Renter must be a minimum age of 25.
Self-Catering: Host/Owner provides initial starter supply of shampoo, soap, toilet paper, garbage can liners and dishwashing soap. Guests are responsible for replenishing supplies.
Staircase: All suites accessed via our unenclosed central staircase. 1871 House is a five-story building, and does not have an elevator.
Damages: Guest/Occupant agrees to be responsible for any damages to rug/upholstery/furniture.
Residential Use: The premises are hereby restricted to residential use only. Guest shall not engage in any activity which is commercial, hotel, business, illegal, nuisance, or dangerous. Should the premises be used for other purposes, the Guest agrees to vacate the premises immediately upon first request and will not be refunded any monies.
Checking In: Our check-in time is 4 pm; however, Guests are welcome to arrive anytime from 12 o’clock noon onwards to pick up keys. Guests may also drop off your luggage pieces and place them in our common entry foyer. We do not have a locked storage area.
Departure Time: 11 a.m. Luggage may be stored in our common entry foyer area should you wish to depart at a later time. We do not have a locked storage area.
Parties/Events: No parties, gatherings or events may be held at the property.
* No candles or open flames of any kind are allowed.
* Fireplaces are decorative only.
For complete details of all policies, refer to our booking page.
Please refer to our online calendar to plan your stay with us! To receive a full cost estimate, please send us an email with the preferred suite of your choice, your expected move-in/move-out dates and the proposed occupancy # and someone will follow up as soon as possible.
We utilize a hybrid version of the hotel model as far as overnight guests and charges are based on occupancy. This as opposed to an open-ended apartment model, although even conventional rental apartment pricing is somewhat based on occupancy where maintenance and utility charges can get adjusted. Our variable costs such as utilities, housekeeping and laundry services increase with additional occupants.
- Starting Base Rate for Single Occupancy @ $108 per night
- Rear & Front Library Suites, Parlor Studio, Garden Room & Knickerbocker Suite
- Monthly rates are seasonal. January, February and March are low season months. April-August are Mid-Season months and September through December are high season months.
- Suites booked on a minimum 30-night basis.
- Pricing based on single occupancy. Maximum Occupancy 1-2.
- Associated Fees:
- $750/month supplemental charge for second occupant
- Basic Utilities: $185/month
- Utilities Include Heat, Water/Hot Water, Gas, Electric & Wi-Fi.
- Air Conditioning: $125/month (June, July, August, September & October)
- Cleaning/Linens & Towels: $65/week
- $100 Exit Cleaning Fee
- Occupancy Tax 5.875% + $2/room/night. Room count 1-2 rooms.
- Starting Rate for Single Occupancy @ $150 per night (single occupancy)
- Madison Suite & Lexington Suite
- Monthly rates are seasonal. January, February and March are low season months. April-August are Mid-Season months and September through December are considered high season months.
- Suites booked on a minimum 30-night basis.
- Pricing based on single occupancy. Maximum 2 Occupants.
- Associated Fees:
- $750-$950/month supplemental charge per additional occupant.
- Basic Utilities: Madison or Lexington Suites: $285/month
- Utilities Include: Heat, Water/Hot Water, Gas, Electric & WiFi
- Air Conditioning: $175/month (June, July, August, September & October)
- Cleaning/Linens & Towels/Laundry: $85/week
- $100 Exit Cleaning Fee
- Occupancy Tax 5.875% + $2/room/night.
- Flexible Room Count 2-4 rooms.
• NY city hotel occupancy tax 5.875%
• NY city hotel tax $2.00 / room / night
• A rental home may have more than one room. The tax will be $2.00 per room per day on each of the rooms that make up the home plus the hotel room occupancy tax for the entire home rental. (For example: The tax on a home with 4 rooms will be $8.00 per day plus the hotel room occupancy tax for the entire suite rental). New York City defines a room as “Any room of any kind, other than a bathroom or lavatory, in any part or portion of a hotel/home which is available for, or let out for, use or possession for any purpose other than a place of assembly.”
- No tax is due from guests who are considered to be permanent residents. To be considered a permanent resident of New York State, a guest must stay for at least 180 consecutive days without interruption (see also below information).
- To be exempt from all taxes, the occupant must have a signed lease agreement with the term exceeding 179 consecutive days. If the occupant does not complete 180 days of continuous occupancy, any taxes not previously collected become immediately due and payable (see below).
- Technically, a person who enters into an agreement for occupancy for 180 consecutive days or more does not become a “permanent resident” under the law until he/she has been an occupant for 180 consecutive days, and the operator is liable for the collection of the tax until that occupancy for 180 consecutive days has been completed. However, an occupant can obtain permanent resident status prior to completing 180 days of consecutive occupancy by requesting a lease from the hotel operator. Where the occupant has requested such a lease, the hotel operator should not collect the tax for any day, starting on the date the lease was requested, that falls within a period of continuous occupancy by the occupant. However, if the occupant does not complete 180 days of continuous occupancy, any taxes not previously collected become immediately due and payable and are to be collected by the hotel operator.