1871 House Accommodations
Located in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, NYC, 1871 House offers extended stay lodging for travelers of all kinds. Our historic brownstone townhouse is a beautiful and refreshing alternative to the typical hotel arrangements in the City. Whatever the reason for your extended stay in New York City, let 1871 House be your home away from home!
Please take a look at our accommodations, policies, and rates before booking your stay.
Turn-Key Fully Furnished & Equipped Apartments
Our fully furnished apartments offer all the conveniences needed for your temporary stay in Manhattan including utilities (wi-fi, electric, gas, heat & water), linens, towels, air conditioning & even kitchenware. All our apartments & suites come fully furnished. We will not remove or change out the furniture that is provided. We ask that you do not move our furniture or artwork and we also ask that you do not bring additional furniture, artwork, etc.
Flexible Lease Terms (30-90 Day Minimum Stays)
We do not offer lease terms for less than one month however we also do not book single month stays out in advance unless the dates are contiguous with an existing reservation.
Pricing is expressed as a gross base per diem rate for single occupancy stays and may vary based on term. Base rates do not include cost of utilities (Wi-Fi, electric, gas, water, heat, a/c) cleaning or tax. Rates are seasonal. Starting rates are reflective of low season periods.
Securing Your Booking
Availability is listed on the website and an online application can be filled out in minutes. Prospective guests should submit an online reservation via our booking portal. Apartments/suites cannot be held without payment including payment of a security deposit as requested. Unfortunately we cannot accommodate requests for courtesy holds.
Form of Payment
Accommodation charges are payable by ACH, wire transfer & Zelle. Credit card payments are subject to a 4% convenience fee.
We adhere to a strict cancellation policy. Cancellations will be charged 100% of the booking arrangement. The same cancellation policy will also apply in the case of the booking arrangement being shortened. We recommend the purchase of Travel Insurance.
Identity of Guest(s)
Unless the Guest has notified the Host prior to making the reservation, the individual making the reservation must be the guest staying at the Accommodation. Immediately upon booking, Submission of a valid government-issue PHOTO-ID may be requested upon booking. This could be a driver’s license, passport or visa. Guests will also be requested to fill out an informational sheet.
Maximum Occupancy Number
There are designated maximum occupancy limits for each of our suites of 1-2 people. The number of guests staying in the apartment or suite may not exceed the maximum number of guests permitted in the Accommodation. Children & babies count toward the number of guests.
Hotel Model Pricing
Pricing is based on the specific number of occupants. We operate under an extended stay hotel model as opposed to a standard apartment rental model in that our rates are based on occupancy. We technically are an extended stay hotel facility and this format is part of our business model, which helps keep regular rates as low as we are able to. Additionally, as one might already be aware, it is costly to us when additional persons stay at the house.
We utilize a hybrid version of the hotel model as far as guests and charge based on occupancy. Primary Guests may have an overnight visitor provided advance notice has been given to the host and the maximum occupancy limit for the suite is not violated. A monthly or daily fee is applicable. The fee covers additional operating expenses such as wear and tear, utilities, more prep and cleaning, water (showers, toilets, sink use), supplies such as towels and bedding, laundry & internet.
We arrange for intermittent housekeeping & linen service.
Pets are not permitted in the house.
Smoking is not permitted in the house, terrace or in any of the public areas including 25 feet from the building. This includes e-cigarettes.
Primary Renter must be a minimum age of 25.
Self-Catering: Host/Owner provides initial starter supply of shampoo, soap, toilet paper, garbage can liners and dishwashing soap. Guests are responsible for replenishing supplies.
Staircase: All suites accessed via our unenclosed central staircase. 1871 House is a five-story building, and does not have an elevator.
Damages: Guest/Occupant agrees to be responsible for any damages to rug/upholstery/furniture.
Everyone must abide by the our House Rules and Policies. We also ask that all residents and their guests be respectful towards their neighbors and be mindful about noise.
Residential Use: The premises are hereby restricted to residential use only. Guest shall not engage in any activity which is commercial, hotel, business, illegal, nuisance, or dangerous. Should the premises be used for other purposes, the Guest agrees to vacate the premises immediately upon first request and will not be refunded any monies.
Checking In: Our check-in time is 4 pm; however, Guests are welcome to arrive anytime from 12 o’clock noon onwards to pick up keys. Guests may also drop off your luggage pieces and place them in our common entry foyer. We do not have a locked storage area.
Departure Time: 11 a.m. Luggage may be stored in our common entry foyer area should you wish to depart at a later time. We do not have a locked storage area.
Parties/Events: Parties, gatherings and or events may NOT be held at the property.
* No candles or open flames of any kind are allowed.
* Fireplaces are decorative only.
For complete details of all policies, refer to our booking page.
Please refer to our online calendar to plan your stay with us! To receive a cost estimate send us a quick introductory note. Include your expected move-in/move-out dates and also how many guests are to be accommodated. We will follow up with a cost estimate.
We utilize a hybrid version of the hotel model as far as overnight guests and charges are based on occupancy. This as opposed to an open-ended apartment model, although even conventional rental apartment pricing is somewhat based on occupancy where maintenance and utility charges can get adjusted. Our variable costs such as utilities, housekeeping and laundry services increase with additional occupants.
- Starting Base Rate for Single Occupancy @ $108 per night
- Rear & Front Library Suites, Parlor Studio, Garden Room & Knickerbocker Suite
- Pricing based on single occupancy. Maximum Occupancy 1-2.
- Associated Monthly Fees:
- Supplemental charge for second occupant
- Basic Utilities
- Utilities Include heat, water, electric & gas & wi-fi
- Air Conditioning (available June, July, August, September)
- Exit Cleaning
- Monthly Cleaning
- Starting Rate for Single Occupancy @ $150 per night (single occupancy)
- Madison, Lexington & Library Suite
- Pricing based on single occupancy. Maximum 2 Occupants.
- Associated Monthly Fees:
- Supplemental charge per additional occupant.
- Basic Utilities and Wi-Fi (utilities Include heat, water, electric & gas & wi-fi)
- Air Conditioning. 1, 2 or 3 a/cs (available June, July, August, September & October)
- Monthly Cleaning (includes linen service)
- Exit Cleaning (includes linen service)
Property Use Taxes
• Much like hotel, motel, and B&B stays, short-term rentals (less than 180 days) in New York State are subject to tax. Tax authorities expect short-term vacation rental hosts to collect short-term rental taxes from their guests and remit them to the proper authorities. We collect NYS Tax for all stays.
• The lodging tax on a short-term rental is a percentage of the cost of the guest’s stay that is added to the price of the bill.
• The tax is paid by the guest separate from the accommodation charge.
• Tax is calculated based on the nightly rate, and any fees that roll into the nightly rate (for example, the cleaning & utility fees).
• For calculation of the daily room tax, a kitchen or kitchenette is considered to be a room for tax purposes.
• No tax is due from guests who are considered to be permanent residents. To be considered a permanent resident of New York State, a guest must stay for at least 180 consecutive days without interruption and have a written contract.
• The tax rate is 5.875% + $2/room/night
• A rental home may have more than one room. The tax will be $2.00 per room per day on each of the rooms that make up the home plus the hotel room occupancy tax for the entire home rental. For example: The tax on a home with 4 rooms will be $8.00 per day plus the hotel room occupancy tax for the entire suite rental). New York City defines a room as “Any room of any kind, other than a bathroom or lavatory, in any part or portion of a hotel/home which is available for, or let out for, use or possession for any purpose other than a place of assembly.
- No tax is due from guests who are considered to be permanent residents. To be considered a permanent resident of New York State, a guest must stay for at least 180 consecutive days without interruption (see also below information).
- To be exempt from all taxes, the occupant must have a signed lease agreement with the term exceeding 179 consecutive days. If the occupant does not complete 180 days of continuous occupancy, any taxes not previously collected become immediately due and payable (see below).
- Technically, a person who enters into an agreement for occupancy for 180 consecutive days or more does not become a “permanent resident” under the law until he/she has been an occupant for 180 consecutive days, and the operator is liable for the collection of the tax until that occupancy for 180 consecutive days has been completed. However, an occupant can obtain permanent resident status prior to completing 180 days of consecutive occupancy by requesting a contract from the hotel operator. Where the occupant has requested such an agreement, the hotel operator should not collect the tax for any day, starting on the date the lease was requested, that falls within a period of continuous occupancy by the occupant. However, if the occupant does not complete 180 days of continuous occupancy, any taxes not previously collected become immediately due and payable and are to be collected by the hotel operator.