The Front Library
TYPE: Half-Floor Studio Suite
MAX GUESTS: 1
BED SIZE(S):1 queen-size
ROOM SIZE: 345 sq. ft.
For your extended stay in Manhattan, NYC, make yourself at home in the Front Library, a cozy and inviting luxury bedroom suite at 1871 House near Midtown. The street-view side of the second floor makes up the Front Library, a simple but spacious suite whose oversized north-facing windows give a terrific midlevel portrait of the Townhouse’s neighbors. An original marble fireplace mantle, parquet floors, and a 10-foot ceiling form the backdrop for this wonderfully decorated, approximately 345 square foot suite.
An elegant Ralph Lauren leather settee sits at the foot of a carved wood queen-size bed with rolling-pin headboard, both of which give way to a small marble bistro table and bamboo bistro chairs. Two more marble-topped items – a Victorian washstand and Victorian dresser – complete the suite’s primary furnishings. The prints of 18th and 19th century ante-rooms and throne-rooms along the north wall remind one of the kind of luxury that the Front Library itself hearkens back to and perhaps makes it apparent why Country Living Magazine chose to photograph the Front Library for their “Inn of the Month” feature.
The room comes equipped with a small refrigerator and electric water kettle. There is no kitchen or access to a kitchen in the Front Library Suite unless booked in combination with the Rear Library. The vintage bathroom is a narrow space composed of a tiled tub/shower, pedestal sink and toilet.
- Things you might want to know:
- As 1871 House is a historical building and retains much of its 19th Century structure, it is not suited for all accessibility needs.
- This home was built in 1871, so there are signs of wear and tear.
- The charming, late 1800s townhouse, is not a modern structure – think creaky stairs, sloping wood floors and things as such.
- There’s no elevator in the building and the suite is two flights up from the house’s entry hall level. It’ll take you thirty-six steps to reach the apartment’s entrance.
- This suite is not equipped with an intercom or buzzer system.
- The fireplace is decorative.
- This suite is located in the front portion of the house facing the street. As this is NYC, you shouldn’t expect the streets below to be quiet – there may be construction or traffic noise nearby.
- This suite consists of one large room without a separate bedroom area.
- There is no kitchen provided so don’t expect to do much cooking here. Provided is a small fridge and electric kettle. Cooking appliances may not be added by guests.
- The bathroom is narrow and has a tub/shower combination.
- The room includes a Panasonic 26″ 720p LCD HDTV.
- We include a ROKU device for streaming. The choice of what to watch and what to pay for is up to you. Through the ROKU device, you have access to all available free and subscription based apps like Netflix, Amazon, FOX Nation, etc. To access fee-based programming, you must be a subscriber and login with your own username and password.
- Smoking & Pets are not permitted
- The Front Library can be booked together with the Rear Library and the two rooms connect to each other via a connecting interior door and hallway through the kitchen.
- a/c may be installed in the months June-October (supplemental fee).