cozy & chic airbnb alternative on the Upper East Side in Manhattan
Live like a real New Yorker in a true Manhattan apartment for a month or two or more.
1871 House is an intimate brownstone building containing a handful of apartments. For more than 20 years, 1871 House has been family owned and managed in the heart of New York City. During these uncertain times, we’re hearing Guests are choosing to stay in smaller individually owned properties because it makes them feel safer.
Welcome to 1871 House located in Manhattan’s Upper East Side Historic District in New York City. 1871 House offers attractive furnished apartments for corporate relocations, short term rentals, long-stay medical visitors and extended stays. The airbnb-alternative apartments feature amenities including fully equipped kitchens, quality linens, and a mix of antiques and quality reproduction furniture.
We are delighted to welcome you to 1871 House, where extended stays start at 30 days. 1871 House specializes in providing both long term and short term temporary housing. The furnished apartments are housed within a well-appointed Upper East Side brownstone with the look and feel of a sophisticated English bed and breakfast. Design elements reminiscent of Shabby Chic and Ralph Lauren give the apartments a cozy chic ambiance. No Fee! Furnished short term rental, airbnb alternative, serviced apartments, extended-stay, temporary & corporate housing accommodations on the Upper East Side. New York City, N.Y.
Tucked among gorgeous townhouses and other historic buildings between Park and Lexington Avenues, the historic turn-of-the-century brownstone townhouse brings style and accessibility to the busy city. The gated Manhattan lodging offers stylish apartment-style accommodations on an inviting residential street just a couple of blocks from Central Park, Madison Avenue shopping, and Manhattan’s finest restaurants and cafes.
The five-story townhouse provides travelers with an atmosphere of elegance amidst the hustle and bustle of the city. Take in the picturesque views of historic 62nd Street row houses and mansions in the front, as well as serene garden views in the rear. The wonderful stylized apartments of the townhouse offer antique furniture, hardwood floors, beautiful beds, and en-suite private bathrooms, as well as high ceilings, marble fireplace mantels, and modern amenities such as flat-screen TVs and Wi-Fi. Some rooms offer a kitchen or kitchenette and separate dining areas. The Madison Suite and the Lexington Avenue Suite feature separate bedrooms with full kitchens.
Set on a tree-lined street, the beautiful brownstone building is situated in the much sought-after Historic Upper East Side District in Lenox Hill and is just a 5-minute walk to Central Park. Bloomingdale’s is a couple of blocks away. The house is only three blocks from bustling Midtown Manhattan and some of the City’s fabulous and world renown museums and galleries including the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Met Breuer, MoMA, and the Frick Museum. Carnegie Hall is 9 minutes away by taxi or an 18 minute walk. Among subway lines near the house are the 4, 5, 6, F, R, & N, and the new Q extension just 1 and 2 blocks from the house.
The intimate fully furnished apartments of our townhouse are perfect for your extended stay on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. A stay at 1871 House feels much like time spent in a personal Manhattan apartment. Let 1871 House be your home away from home in New York City!
Contact us to discuss how our elegant brownstone townhouse can accommodate your temporary residence needs on the Upper East Side on East 62nd Street, New York, NY.
A Collection of One-Of-a-Kind Spacious Apartments Available When Temporary Housing is Needed.
1871 House has retained many of its original features, including ornate marble fireplace mantles, a classic twisting staircase, a south-facing garden, rooms with soaring ceilings, and intricately detailed moldings. The gated townhouse boasts oversized windows, swathing your accommodations in light, and also offers picturesque views of the other historic English Row Houses lining the street.
The atmosphere reverberates with the pleasant meeting of sophistication and comfort, the modern and the historical, and the urban and the classic elegance. Mansions just off Park Avenue with classic turn-of-the-century architecture, abounding in charm and old school elegance, can be hard to come by – especially with reasonable price tags. 1871 House fits the bill, making it the perfect backdrop to your stay in the city.
A collection of one-of-a-kind spacious apartments, studio apartments, and full-floor apartments are available. Click here for pictures and details. All 1871 House apartments are accessed by the house’s beautiful main staircase and are NOT serviced by an elevator.
Although our rooms offer different experiences, they generally feature beautifully proportioned, light-filled rooms, airy 12-foot ceilings, beautiful antiques, hardwood floors covered with Oriental rugs, fully equipped kitchens, beds dressed in Matelasse bedspreads, cozy sitting areas facing grand fireplaces (decorative), an assortment of antiques, flat-screen televisions, wireless internet (wi-fi), air conditioning, hair dryers, irons with ironing boards, and all have private en-suite bathrooms. Details such as the decorative ironwork and ornate moldings convey an Old World elegance – as do our classic beds, like the Rear Library’s sleigh bed with netting. Other highlights include our spacious Garden Room, which comes with a private garden terrace, high ceilings, and a fireplace; and our charming Library Suite, which constitutes a bibliophile’s dream. There you can pen your opening chapter among the floor-to-ceiling bookshelves lining one wall of this quiet, sun-filled room.
1871 House can provide all the accommodations necessary to make yourself at home: kitchen facilities and/or appliances in an apartment-style room. Our kitchens/kitchenettes, though not designed for elaborate gourmet cooking, are equipped with everything needed to make simple meals, snacks, coffee, and tea service.
The Life of a Brownstone
To number the lives in the life of a building falls to the census-takers and the statisticians, and yet no one can deny that lovely weight which is felt upon entering a space laden with the tangle of many years of human affairs. Or, perhaps, this sensation is best recognized in its absence, which is conspicuous in new airports, lobbies which close at 5 pm, most of the residences of suburbia, and homogeneous large hotels. The feeling is one of the unique joys of urban life and it is one of the few which are in fact augmented by the ceaseless change of the city fabric, rather than swept away by it.
In New York City, the image par excellence of such a storied building is no doubt the brownstone, a fact confirmed by even the most cursory knowledge of American cinema. The Upper East Side boasts a Historic District of such architectural relics, and it is here that you will find 1871 House. Considering its proximity to Midtown and the unparalleled bustle emanating from the economic heart of the Western world, you will find 1871 House’s hideaway atmosphere all the more surprising and welcoming.
Short and Long-Stay Apartments Located in the Upper East Side Historic District in Lenox Hill.
Both tranquil privacy and supreme convenience will immediately endear you to 1871 House’s lovely side block of townhouses and the Upper East Side neighborhood at large. East 62nd Street between Park Avenue and Lexington Avenue is a quiet, friendly neighborhood where some of New York’s most esteemed addresses are located.
1871 House apartments include small luxuries like all-cotton sheets and blankets, beautiful Matelasse quilts, down pillows and blankets to make your stay comfortable and luxurious. The apartments are furnished with many authentic antiques as well as excellent quality antique reproduction furniture. No IKEA here!
- Flat-screen TVs
- Kitchens stocked with dishes, glasses, microwave oven, flatware, toaster oven, refrigerator, coffee maker, electric water kettle. Also oven/stove, pots and pans (Lexington, Madison, Library), and dishwasher (Madison/Lexington).
- Quality all-cotton bed linens
- Bath towels, bath mats, and shower curtains
- Iron & ironing board
- Hair dryer
- Extra quiet, thermally-insulated, triple pane windows
Upper East Side Historic District – 1871 House is Centrally & Ideally Located Within Lenox Hill
- Lenox Hill: 1871 House is conveniently located in the southern section of the Upper East Side, which is known as Lenox Hill. Lenox Hill forms the lower section of the Upper East Side closest to Midtown. The house also lies within the Upper East Side Historic District and is protected by the New York Landmarks Preservation Commission.
- The neighborhood contains a mixture of brownstone row houses, townhouses, mansions, boutique condominiums, and grand prewar apartment buildings. Many of the townhouses have been repurposed for retail use, consulates, and art galleries. These contribute to the quiet atmosphere of this beautiful Upper East Side neighborhood.
- Since the turn of the century, many of New York’s wealthiest have lived here.
- Central Park: Central Park is within a few minutes’ walk from the house. The close proximity of Central Park (0.3 mi) to 1871 House makes going for your morning run a piece of cake. If running isn’t your thing, you can also participate in many other sports, activities, and hobbies such as jogging, bicycling, strolling, rollerblading, ice-skating, picnicking, and much more. Walks in the park with or without your kids could take you to the Central Park Carousel (0.7 mi), the Ice Skating Rink (0.6 mi), or the Central Park Zoo (0.4 mi).
- Proximity to Madison Avenue and Upscale Shopping: Madison Avenue has been famous as the world’s premier shopping district for more than a century, so upscale boutique shopping is plentiful in this area! For example, Burberry (0.5 mi), Chanel (0.4 mi), Miu Miu (0.5 mi), and Louis Vuitton (0.5 mi) are all within walking distance. Luxury department stores such as Bergdorf Goodman (0.5 mi), and Bloomingdales (0.2 mi) are also very close by. Finally, there are also numerous boutiques dotting Madison Avenue in the East 60s like Brunelli Cuccinelli, Calvin Klein, Tom Ford, etc.
- Restaurants, Cafes, & Convenience Stores: Full Service Neighborhood includes an incredible selection of small restaurants, cafes, gourmet shops, grocery stores, and a full selection of many other service-type retail stores such as dry cleaners, shoe repair shops, barber shops, and hair and nail salons.
Nearby Hospitals, Museums, & Cultural Institutions
Within walking distance are noted Museums and Cultural Institutions:
- The Asia Society Museum: 4 min (0.6 mi) via Park Ave
- The Park Avenue Armory: 3 min (0.4 mi)
- 59e59 Theaters: Located at 59 East 59th Street between Madison and Park Avenues – the #1 off-Broadway destination.
- The Frick Collection: 6 min (0.9 mi) – many consider the Frick to be the crown jewel of American museums because its small collection is virtually made up only of world-class masterpieces. Located on 70th Street and Fifth Avenue.
- The Frick Madison: 13 min (0.6 mi) – Beginning early 2021, the temporary location, called Frick Madison, will house the Frick’s collections, programs, and staff during the renovation and expansion of its historic buildings at 1 East 70th Street. Located on 73rd Street and Madison Avenue.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art: 25 min (1.2 mi) – Located on 80th and Fifth Avenue.
- The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA): 18 min (0.8 mi) – Located on 53rd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues. The Asia Society is located on Park Avenue at 70th Street.
- The Mount Vernon Hotel Museum and Garden: 7 min (0.7 mi) – on East 61st Street between First and Second Avenues. Built in 1799 as a carriage house and converted to a hotel in 1826. It was a country resort for New Yorkers who wanted to escape the city, located below 14th Street at the time.
- Society of Illustrators: 2 min (0.1 mi) – Hip gallery exhibiting illustrative works and providing drawing classes, with a member-only eatery. Located on 63rd Street between Park Avenue and Lexington Avenue.
Close Proximity to the Country’s Best Hospitals and Medical Facilities:
- New York-Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center: 525 E 68th Street – (0.9 mi) (18 min)
- Hospital for Special Surgery, Main Campus: (1.1 mi) (21 min)
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: 16 E 60th Street – (0.3 mi) (6 min)
- Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital: 210 E 64th Street – (0.3 mi) (6 min)
Midtown is walkable
The Midtown office district begins just below 60th Street. The area’s proximity to Midtown makes this one of New York’s most desirable residential neighborhoods. 1871 House is a residential respite from the bustle of Midtown Manhattan, but with all the benefits of Midtown Manhattan at your fingertips.
Transportation in the neighborhood is excellent. Among subway lines are the 4, 5, 6, F, N, R, W, and the new Q extension. The Q stops in Times Square, offering many transfer options. Grand Central Station is one subway stop away (taking the 4 or 5 from 59th Street to Grand Central Station). Southbound buses can be found along Lexington Avenue (62nd Street) and northbound buses on Madison or Third Avenue (63rd Street).
JFK: 15 miles
LaGuardia: 8 miles
Newark: 17 miles
Neighborhood Private Clubs
- The Metropolitan Club: 1-11 East 60th or 51 East 62nd St
- The Union Club of New York: 701 Park Ave, East 69th St
- The Harmonie Club: 4 East 60th St
- The Grolier Club: 47 East 60th St
- The Knickerbocker Club: 2 East 62nd St
- The Links Club: 36 East 63rd StThe Colony Club: 564 Park Ave
- The Lotos Club: 5 East 66th St
- The Cosmopolitan Club: 122 East 66th St
Design Center: Architects, designers, and collectors from around the world travel to this area for its concentration of design and home furnishings showrooms and galleries, including the nearby Decoration and Design “D and D” building and Manhattan Art and Antiques Center.
- Hunter College: 695 Park Avenue, New York, NY
- Marymount Manhattan College: 221 E 71st Street, New York, NY
- Rockefeller University: 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY
Gossip Girl, Sex & the City, and Breakfast at Tiffany’s Territory
1871 House is located on the home turf of Gossip Girl, Sex & the City, and Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Stay at 1871 House and explore Blair and Serena’s, Carrie Bradshaw’s, and Holly Golightly’s favorite hangouts! Our stately townhouse is just steps away from Park Avenue, Bloomingdale’s, and Serendipity 3, where celebrities come for the “Frrrozen Hot Chocolate.”