The Rear Library
TYPE: Half-Floor Studio Suite
MAX GUESTS: 2
BED SIZE(S): 1 queen-size
ROOM SIZE: 415 sq. ft.
For your temporary corporate housing or extended stay, look no further than the Rear Library of 1871 House, a set of unique extended-stay accommodations in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, NYC.
Two flights above the lobby sits the Rear Library, a studio suite that exudes a kind of palatial serenity, owing to its spacious size and cream bedding around the queen-size sleigh bed, and an entire wall of floor-to-ceiling books. The south-facing suite gets lots of light through its three lace-clad windows, which overlook a garden and terrace. The quiet studio suite is positioned in the rear of the building. The golden oak parquet floors, the imposing marble fireplace, and the 10-foot ceilings all contribute to the expansive quality of the room. A large oriental rug, a bureau, an armoire, and a round dining table with chairs complete the suite’s furnishings.
The Rear Library also includes a compact kitchen with a microwave, toaster, 4-burner range with oven, coffee maker, sink, and apartment-size refrigerator.
The Rear Library’s en-suite bathroom is the most recently renovated in the entire townhouse and consists of a just-rebuilt tiled shower, pedestal sink, and toilet.
- Things you might want to know:
- As 1871 House is a historical building and retains much of its 19th Century structure, it is not suited for all accessibility needs.
- This home was built in 1871, so there are signs of wear and tear.
- The charming, late 1800s townhouse, is not a modern structure – think creaky floorboards and things as such.
- There’s no elevator in the building and the suite is two flights up from the house’s entry hall level. It’ll take you thirty-six steps to reach the apartment’s entrance.
- Since the room was photographed, the canopy over the bed has been removed.
- This suite does not have an intercom or buzzer system.
- This suite faces the garden side of the house.
- This suite consists of one large room without a separate bedroom area
- The kitchen is small but still good enough to prepare your morning coffee and other basics.
- Only two guests maximum are permitted.
- The fireplace is decorative.
- Pets are not permitted.
- Room includes Panasonic 26″ 720p LCD HDTV
- The TV includes a ROKU device for streaming. The choice of what to watch is up to you. To access fee-based programming, you must be a subscriber and login with your own username and password.
- a/c is installed June, July, August, September & October for an extra fee (a/c is optional in the months of June and October) (supplemental fee).
- There isn’t a laundry facility in the building. Guests have access to many neighborhood laundry and dry cleaning merchants who offer laundry service by the pound with free pick-up and delivery.
- The Front Library can be booked together with the Rear Library and the two rooms connect to each other via a connecting interior door and hallway through the kitchen.