Manhattan's Most Desirable & Convenient Neighborhood
1871 House is centrally located within the Lenox Hill Neighborhood of the Upper East Side, steps to Central Park, Madison Avenue Shopping, Restaurants, Cafes, Convenience Stores and Midtown.
- 1871 House is conveniently located in the southern section of the Upper East Side known as Lenox Hill which forms the lower section of the Upper East Side closest to Midtown. The house also lies within the Upper East Side Historic District and is protected by the New York Landmarks Preservation Commission. You can walk to the office on weekdsy
- The neighborhood contains a mixture of brownstone row houses, townhouses, mansions, boutique condominiums and grand prewar apartment buildings. Many of the townhouses have been repurposed for retail use, consulates and art galleries. These contribute to the quiet atmoshphere of this beautiful Upper East Side neighborhood.
- Central Park is within a few minutes' walk from the house. The close proximity of Cental Park (0.3 mi) to the 1871 House makes going for your morning run a piece of cake. If running isn't your thing, guests can also participate in many other sports activities and hobbies such as jogging, bicycle riding, strolling, rollerblading, ice-skating, picnicking, and much more. Walks in the park with or without your kids could be to the Central Park Carousel (0. 7 mi), the Ice Skating Rink (0.6 mi) or the Central Park Zoo (0.4 mi).
- Proximity to Madison Avenue and Upscale Shopping. Upscale Boutique shopping is plentiful for example Burberry (0.5 mi), Chanel (0.4 mi), Miu Miu (0.5 mi) & Louis Vuitton (0.5 mi). Luxury department stores such as Barney's New York (0.3 mi), Bergdorf Goodman (0.5 mi) and Bloomingdales (0.2 mi) are very close by. Finally there are the many Madison Avenue boutiques (too many to name) that dot Madison Avenue in the East 60s like Brunelli Cuccinelli, Calvin Klein, Tom Ford, etc. Madison Avenue has been famous as the world's premier shopping district for more than a century.
- Restaurants, Cafes & Convenience Stores: Full Service Neighborhood includes a vast selection of restaurants, cafes, specialty coffee & wine bars as well as shops of every variety within walking distance, including Whole Foods Market, Duane Reade Pharmacy, a shoe repair, dry cleaners, nail salons, hair salons, Starbucks and much more. Being so centrally located makes living in the City a breeze! 1871 House is at the center of it all.
Hospitals, Museums & Cultural Institutions Convenient to the 1871 House
Within walking distance are noted Museums and Cultural Institutions:
- The Asia Society Museum - 4 min (0.6 mi) via Park Ave
- The Park Avenue Armory - 3 min (0.4 mi)
- 59e59 Theaters - #1 off-Broadway destination located at 59 East 59th Street between Madison and Park Avenues.
- The Frick Collection 6 min (0.9 mi) - many consider the Frick the crown jewel of American museums because its small collection is virtually made up only of world-class masterpieces. Located on 70th Street & Fifth Avenue
- The Met Breuer - 13 min (0.6 mi) - the Met Museum's new space dedicated to modern and contemporary art. Located on 73rd Street and Madison Avenue.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art 25 min (1.2 mi) located on 80th and Fifth Avenue
- The Museum of Modern Art (MoMa) 18 min (0.8 mi) located on 53rd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues. The Asia Society located on Park Avenue at 70th Street.
- The Mount Vernon Hotel Museum and Garden 7 min (0.7 mi), on East 61st Street between First and Second Avenues, built in 1799 as a carriage house and converted to a hotel in 1826.
- Society of Illustrators 2 min (0.1 mi) - Hip gallery exhibiting illustrative works and providing drawing classes, with a member-only eatery. Located on 63rd Street between Park Avenue and Lexington Avenue.
Close Proximity to the Country's Best Hospitals and Medical Facilities: long-stay medical visitors benefit by the proximity of the house to multiple medical facilities. Memorial Sloan Kettering, New York Presbyterian, Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat, Lenox Hill and the Hospital for Special Surgery are all within walking distance of the house.
- Memorial Sloan Kettering 60th Street Outpatient Center, 16 E 60th Street (0.3 mi) (6 min)
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave (.6 mi)
- New York-Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center, 525 E 68th St (0.9 mi) (18 min)
- Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital, 210 E 64th Street (0.3 mi) (6 min)
- Lenox HIll Hospital,100 E 77th St, New York, NY 10075 (0.7 mi) (8 min)
- Hospital for Special Surgery, Main Campus, 535 East 70th Street, (1.1 mi) (21 min)
- Mount Sinai Medical Center, East 98th Street, (2.6 mi)
Midtown is walkable.
The midtown office district begins just below 60th Street. The area's proximity to mid-town, makes this one of New York's most desirable residential neighborhoods. 1871 House is a residential respite from the bustle of midtown Manhattan with all the benefits of Midtown Manhattan at your fingertips.
Transportation in the neighborhood is excellent. One block away is the F train and the new Q extension. The Q stops in Times Square, offering many transfer options. Two blocks away are the 4, 5, 6, N, R. Grand Central Station is one subway stop away (taking the 4 or 5 one stop from 59th street to Grand Central Station. Southbound buses can be found along Lexington Avenue (62nd street) and northbound buses on Madison or Third Avenue (63rd Street).
Design Center. Architects, Designers and Collectors from around the world travel to this area for its concentration of design and home furnishings showrooms and galleries including the nearby Decoration and Design "D and D" building and Manhattan Art and Antiques Center.
- Hunter College Hunter College, 695 Park Ave
- Marymount Manhattan College, 221 E 71st St
- The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Ave
- Columbia University, 116th Street & Broadway (20 minutes with Uber
- Barnard College, 116th Street & Broadway
Broadway Theatre District:
The Broadway theatre district is just a quick taxi, subway or Uber ride away, 16 min (1.4 mi) .
Gossip Girl, Sex and the City and Breakfast at Tiffany's Territory -
1871 House is located on Gossip Girl, Sex & the City & Breakfast at Tiffany's home turf. Stay at 1871 House and explore Blair and Serena's, Carrie Bradshaw's and Holly Golightly's favorite hangouts! Our stately townhouse is just steps away from Park Avenue, Bloomingdal